Tuesday, February 25, 2020

Topic Change!

  Hi peeps! So, last class, I had an extensive conversation with my AICE Media teacher about the topic my partner and I had chosen. To begin the conversation, we went through our developments in the blog. She told me that I had to focus more on research, and I believe that it is true. I believed that this was a platform in which I could write my thoughts, and while that is true, I also was required to do research in order to support my opinions, which I really didn't implement on this blog. After discussing this, she told us to explain why we chose to do a thriller opening and our ideas behind it. After telling her our vision, she deliberately told us that we were being artificial and fake with ourselves because my partner and I are extremely happy individuals, and we weren't focusing on a topic that related to our actual interests. We discussed our day to day interests, hobbies, and lifestyles, and with her guidance, we decided to change our topic to:   


 drumrolls, please.....
Image result for Drama queen
DRAMAAA!!!

Drama is a genre that is intended to have a more serious than humorous tone. This genre normally has a setting or takes place in real-time. Throughout the films, the main character is often in conflict with themselves, others, or even some forces of nature. A typical drama often shows people at their best, their worst, and everything in between. Drama is most likely the largest genre industry because it includes a broad platform of subgenres. These subgenres include, but are not limited to crime films, courtroom dramas, melodramas, epics (historical dramas), biopics (biographical), or romantic genres. In addition, Drama is considered to be the top-rated genre as indicated by the graph below.

Image result for Drama films graphs
My partner and I want to focus our story on a coming-of-age drama in which a regular, high school student is considered the typical social butterfly as she has a large group of friends and hangs out with them constantly; however, she is not. She finds conflict within herself as she considers herself an extremely insecure individual who enjoys being alone, sharing with herself, and practicing on her interests, which mostly are recording her original songs.
Drama is a genre that depends mostly on in-depth development of realistic characters dealing with emotional themes. This is most likely why the genre's target audience includes women between the ages of 17-50. Hence the reason we chose a female to play the lead role in the movie.

Image result for Drama target audience

The storyline we chose focuses on developing the interest of a relatively younger target audience(16-20 years of age) as this demographic makes up part of what we call Generation Z. And one of the common interests of Gen Z includes music. In addition, the American psychological association states that Gen Z individuals are more insecure about themselves, and tend to focus and act in a way of what society considers as the norm. This is supported by the graph below.

Image result for gen z pressure to fit in socially

Up to this time, this is all the ideas my partner and I have thought on the storyline, but as time progresses we will begin developing the character and we will make this film opening as much of an honest piece as we can. I hope you enjoy!

PEACE!

No comments:

Post a Comment